For the Cupcakes:
- 4 tablespoons (57 grams) unsalted butter, at room temperature
- ¾ cup (149 grams) granulated sugar
- 1 egg
- 2½ tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- 3 tablespoons red food coloring
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- ½ cup (120 ml) buttermilk
- 1 cup + 2 (145 grams) tablespoons all-purpose flour
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- 1½ teaspoons distilled white vinegar
For the Cream Cheese Frosting:
- 4 ounces butter, at room temperature
- 4 ounces cream cheese, at room temperature
- 2½ cups (283 grams) powdered sugar
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- Standard 12-cup muffin pan
- Red food coloring
- Disposable decorating bags
- Attic #827 decorating tip
- 1 and 3/4 cups (220g) all-purpose flour (spoon & leveled)
- 1 and 3/4 cup (350g) granulated sugar
- 3/4 cup (65g) unsweetened natural cocoa powder (not dutch processed)
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup (240ml) buttermilk1
- 1/2 cup (120ml) vegetable oil (or canola oil, or melted coconut oil)
- 2 large eggs, at room temperature2
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 cup (240ml) freshly brewed strong hot coffee
- 1 3/4 cups confectioners’ sugar.
- 1 cup almond flour.
- 3 large egg whites, at room temperature.
- 1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar.
- Pinch of salt.
- 1/4 cup superfine sugar.
- 2 to 3 drops gel food coloring (see below)
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla, almond or mint extract.